Thursday, March 15, 2012

2010 St. Innocent Pinot Gris

I have a confession, this was my first taste of Pinot Gris. Doesn't sound too odd to you? Maybe it's not that big of a deal, but anyone that watches Housewives of New York and considers herself a Ramona Singer fan, I feel should have taken at least a sip or 3 of a Pinot Grigio/Pinot Gris before this night. But alas, my Pinot Gris v-card has been stamped or taken or whatever happens to it.

Before I go to far into this, let's first talk answer a very important question: What is Pinot Grigio/Pinot Gris? Pinot Grigio is currently the most popular white wine produced in Italy. Most is dry with fruit flavors. They range from light to medium body. Pinot Grigio is the same grape as Pinot Gris, yet they are capable of producing a variety of white wines in a number of different winegrowing areas. The best Pinot Grigio is produced in the northern area of Italy, benefiting from the cooler climate. The Pinot Gris of Alsace and Oregon are wonderfully crisp as well, but are fuller bodied and more aromatic.

For this week I decided to try the Pinot Gris that was recently received from my wine club, 2010 St. Innocent Vitae Springs Vineyard Pinot Gris. I found this to be very soft, smooth, slightly dry. My drinking buddy wasn't a fan, but again he only goes for the super sweet ones. If you are not into sweet, but enjoy a white, light, easy drinking wine, I would definitely recommend this.
Pinot Gris done, now I need to try a Pinot Grigio!

No comments:

Post a Comment