Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Van Ruiten Vineyards 2008 Chardonnay

This week I decided I'd try a white wine. I've noticed that I have been drinking a lot of red and I needed to switch it up. It also didn't hurt that I had just received a shipment from one of my wine clubs (Gold Medal Wine Club), that contained a white wine.




Van Ruiten Vineyard 2008 Chardonnay




What is a Chardonnay? In general, Chardonnay produces wines which are dry to medium dry with pear, apple, tropical or citrus fruit flavors. When little to no oak aging occurs, Chardonnay tends to be more crisp and fresh. With extensive oak aging, they become creamy and buttery with vanilla, spice and oak flowers. It is the world's most popular white wine grape and it is grown in virtually every wine-producing region.




I read another review of this wine:
Lush and round on the palate, the Van Ruiten 2008 "Double Barrel" Reserve Chardonnay displays intense fruit and spicy oak aromas with notes of creamy lemon bar, apple, papaya, and hazelnut. While the finish is long and clean, the flavors become increasingly full and complex with time. Bright acidity and nice tannins give a wonderful balance to the Chardonnay and allows for a multitude of food pairings. Try pairing the Van Ruiten 2008 Reserve Chardonnay with fettuccine or chicken with cream butter sauces.

My thoughts- I wasn't sure what to expect. I decided I'd open the bottle and have a glass with some leftover Chinese food, Sweet and Sour shrimp. Since it was a pretty sweet meal to begin with I thought I'd have a few sips while my plate warmed in the microwave. I was worried that the sweetness of the sweet and sour sauce would wash out the wine. My first sip, really shocked me. I found it crisp, smooth, juicy and not too sweet at all. The flavor held up, even with the sugary sauce. I probably would not drink it again with this type of meal, but the wine still held it's own. To be certain about the wine I tried it again the next evening (that's a valid excuse). ;-) It was just as fantastic as I thought. I would definitely buy this to keep around when friends stop by. A perfect, light, easy wine for drinking with friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment